Why Choose Teeth Whitening?
Your smile is important! It’s one of the first things people notice when they meet you. A bright and white smile looks healthy and youthful, and yet, according to an American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry national survey, 50% of the people surveyed were not satisfied with the appearance of their own smile.
Why Our Patients Choose to Whiten Their Teeth
PolaDay Teeth Whitening is a quick and effective way to gain an immediate cosmetic improvement in appearance. Here are a few reasons why our teeth whitening patients choose this treatment option:
- To experience the boost of confidence and self-esteem that comes with a great smile
- To gain a younger appearance
- To look their best at a special event such as a wedding, job interview or class reunion
- To make a positive first impression on others
- To reverse years of everyday staining and yellowing
What Causes Teeth Stains and Discoloration?
Your lifestyle and the aging process can stain and darken your teeth. This can include:
- Tooth decay or trauma to the teeth
- Poor oral hygiene
Also, many things you do on a daily basis can stain or discolor your teeth, including:
- Certain medications
- Drinking coffee, tea, colas, red wine
- Eating foods that are acidic
Professional Take Home Whitening can often remove these stains resulting in a brighter and whiter smile. Regular hygiene appointments at Cornerstone Dental are recommended to help reduce the effects of lifestyle habits that can cause staining or yellowing of the teeth. If you’re due for a checkup and dental cleaning, we welcome you to book (you’re) your hygiene appointment today.
Instructions for Using PolaDay Take Home Whitening Kit
At Cornerstone Dental’s Okotoks Dental Office we use the PolaDay Whitening System by SDI. It contains a 7.5% solution. It should be used once or twice a day for 30 minutes at a time. Do not exceed 45 minutes per wear, as this may cause sensitivity. If you are prone to sensitivity, start brushing with a sensitivity toothpaste two weeks before starting your whitening treatment. You are in control of the whitening process. Once you reach your desired result, you should stop the treatment.
General Whitening Info
Teeth are naturally dark along the gum line. These areas may require more time to lighten than the rest of the tooth surface, and may remain slightly darker. Also, fillings and crowns will not change color with whitening products.
- Brush teeth with sensitivity toothpaste.
- Place a small drop of whitening gel into every compartment of the tray for the teeth undergoing treatment (each syringe should last about five days)
- Seat the tray, with the gel around the teeth
- Wipe away excess gel in mouth with a tissue or soft dry brush
- After treatment, remove whitening tray. Rinse whitening tray with cold water and rinse your mouth with lukewarm water.
- Brush teeth.
For Best Results
- Do not eat, drink or smoke while whitening trays are in your mouth
- Do not smoke immediately after treatment, wait at least 2 hours
- Foods and drinks containing strong color (Tumeric, red wine, coffee, tea, etc.) should be avoided for at least 48 hours after the treatment is complete
- Keep gel at room temperature, store in a cool, dark area.
If You Experience Sensitivity
Patients who experience sensitivity may need to modify their treatment schedules such as taking a day or two breaks between treatments. Fewer treatments are also suggested when sensitivity is an issue. Patients will also be given a tube of Sensodyne Repair and Protect Toothpaste which helps reduce sensitivity.
- Do not hesitate to call our office if you have any questions or concerns
- Keep out of reach of children and pets
- Not to be used by pregnant or lactating women or children under the age or 15
- Patients with a history of chemical allergies are advised to have an allergy test done before using this product. Stop use and call our office if any reactions do occur.
- For topical use only
- Eye or Skin Contact: Wash thoroughly with water and seek medical advice if symptoms persist
- Ingestion of Large Amount (half syringe or more): Drink plenty of milk or water and seek medical advice.